Oh, I know we may claim to be over the KILLALLTHECARBS fad of the late '90s/early 2000's, but you and I both know that there is still a hefty side of guilt served up with every portion of carb-heavy food we nosh on.
Well, last night I was faced with the Working Mommy's Dilemma. After an eternity in the office, a killer commute home, and two little boys who thought "sleep" was more of a suggestion than a requirement, I found myself head-tilting at the clock on the oven as it blinked "9:27". My stomach growled. Man-Mate's stomach growled.
... and I was out of ideas.
Luckily, I always (and I do, truly, mean always) keep boxes - plural - of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix in my pantry.
|Oh, the joy...|
Smokey Cheddar & Cracked Pepper Corn Muffins
Two (2) packages of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
Two (2) eggs
2/3 cup - milk
1/2 TS - liquid smoke
1 1/2 cup - sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Black pepper grinder (no measurement here, do it to taste)
Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease or paper-line a 12-count muffin tin
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the corn muffin mix, eggs, milk, liquid smoke, and 1/2 cup of cheese
- Stir to combine
- **Don't over-mix - you don't want glue. Some lumps are okay.
- Let the dough rest 3 - 4 minutes, then stir one more time
- Spoon in the dough to about halfway in each muffin cup
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese equally over each portion
- Grind black pepper over each portion, to taste
- **I like to, you know, actually taste the black pepper, so I set it to a medium-grind and do about 3-4 turns per portion... probably coming out to 1/4 tsp.
- Spoon remaining dough over each portion
- Sprinkle each with a pinch of kosher salt
- Bake at 400 F for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown