Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Joys of Jiffy

Sometimes, you just need carbs.

Oh, I know we may claim to be over the KILLALLTHECARBS fad of the late '90s/early 2000's, but you and I both know that there is still a hefty side of guilt served up with every portion of carb-heavy food we nosh on.

Well, last night I was faced with the Working Mommy's Dilemma. After an eternity in the office, a killer commute home, and two little boys who thought "sleep" was more of a suggestion than a requirement, I found myself head-tilting at the clock on the oven as it blinked "9:27". My stomach growled. Man-Mate's stomach growled.

... and I was out of ideas.
A FIRST!!!

Luckily, I always (and I do, truly, mean always) keep boxes - plural - of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix in my pantry.
Oh, the joy...
Just seeing its cute, Americana packaging made me smile... and made my stomach growl, again, prompting me to hurry it up, already! as into the refrigerator I peered. Below is the resulting recipe - I hope you'll try it the next time you have an exhaustion/carb attack!

Smokey Cheddar & Cracked Pepper Corn Muffins

Ingredients

Two (2) packages of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
Two (2) eggs
2/3 cup  - milk
1/2 TS - liquid smoke
1 1/2 cup - sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Black pepper grinder (no measurement here, do it to taste)
Kosher salt, to taste

Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 400 F.
  • Grease or paper-line a 12-count muffin tin
  • In a medium mixing bowl, add the corn muffin mix, eggs, milk, liquid smoke, and 1/2 cup of cheese
  • Stir to combine
    • **Don't over-mix - you don't want glue. Some lumps are okay.
  • Let the dough rest 3 - 4 minutes, then stir one more time
  • Spoon in the dough to about halfway in each muffin cup
  • Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese equally over each portion
  • Grind black pepper over each portion, to taste
    • **I like to, you know, actually taste the black pepper, so I set it to a medium-grind and do about 3-4 turns per portion... probably coming out to 1/4 tsp. 
  • Spoon remaining dough over each portion
  • Sprinkle each with a pinch of kosher salt
  • Bake at 400 F for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown